Sunday, June 22, 2008

Part Four

The woman looked at the Princess in pure curiosity. "Well, I'm not there yet,” she said thoughtfully, “but I'm hopeful." The Princess pouted. Quirking a quizzical eyebrow to that, she asked, "Who are you?"

The Princess perked up a bit, looked around the room innocently, and then said, "My name is Blue."

The woman eyed her curiously. She knew the name, and even upon hearing the name, finally recognized the girl in fact. The only question that came to mind at this point was why the hell was she in this part of the castle? “I take it you’re lost then?”

“Pardon?”

“Lost?” repeated the woman. “It would explain why a princess would end up here… in the recesses of the castle parading about in my dwellings.”

“Oh!” said Blue. “I’m sorry, but I-.”

“Didn’t even know this place… or I… were even here?” Blue just looked at her, and that was the only answer she needed. Grinning to herself, the woman said, “For a curious girl, you don’t seem to know your own castle.”

Tempted for reason to stomp her foot at the comment (but didn’t), Blue said, “It’s a big castle. I just haven’t gotten this far yet.”

Still grinning, the woman said, “You’re here now, aren’t you?” Blue became flustered. “You don’t know where you are, do you?”

“Well,” she started, “um, you see.” She gave up trying to sound like she knew what she was talking about. “No,” she finally replied, her posture sagging a little. “I have no idea.”

The woman chuckled at the Princess. “Don’t look so deflated little one.”

“But like you said… I should know my own castle.”

The woman approached then, but Blue wasn’t afraid. Yes, the woman was a stranger, but the Princess didn’t see her as any sort of threat. “It’s a big place sweetheart,” said the woman, “and I’ll let you in on a little secret.” Blue looked up into the ladies eyes when she said, “No one’s supposed to know about this place.”

“Why not?”

“Well,” the woman hemmed and hawed, then decided if the Princess wasn’t spooked yet then she could take the truth. “Well, you see, dearie. This isn’t part of the castle.”



*originally written on January 22, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment