Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Part Twenty-Three

The King stood outside his castle looking out over the gardens.  His hands firmly placed on the stone railing, he took in the loveliness of the sky and trees, the flowers and topiaries, but as beautiful as it was, it did nothing to brighten his mood.

He had been sombre as of late, and he wasn't sure why.  He had everything a man could ask for, and as king he was wont for nothing, but still... an emptiness dwelled within him that he could not pinpoint or comprehend.  The feeling within troubled him, and he sought out his physician in secret so as not to alert anyone in case it was simply all in his mind.  After every check-up, the physician assured him he was fine, and the King believed him.

Then what was this internal ache that troubled him so?

A gardener tending to roses near him caught the King's attention.  "You there," he called to the man who looked up at hearing the King speak.

"Yes, Your Highness," he said abandoning his tools and standing at his address, not forgetting to bow before royalty.

"The grounds are beautiful," said the King. 

"Thank you, Your Majesty," said the gardener with a slight bow of the head.  "I shall pass your kind words on to the others that help maintain the grounds."

The King nodded.  "Carry on," he said, and the gardener, after a small bow and polite thank you, fell to his knees again.  Noticing the flowers he was tending to, the King said, "Those roses are remarkable."

"Thank you, Your Majesty." The roses were a swirl of blue and a deep reddish pink with green mixed in from the base of the bud to the tips of the petals.  "They were originally all green but over time, the red and tones emerged."  The gardener continued pulling weeds and pruning the bushes.

"Fascinating," said the King.  "Praytell, what is the name of their species?"

"Aiyana," said the gardener.

"They are exquisite," said the King.  "I would like to have some on the table during dinner with my family, please."

"Yes, Your Highness," said the gardener with a bow and by the time he raised his head, the King was gone.
*******
Both women stared at each other, neither of them smiling.  If it was possible, the temperature grew colder in their presence. 

It was the Queen who spoke first.

"It seems you have lost your manners, dear sister."

"The time for pleasantries is over," said the woman.  "What do you want, Belinda?"

"What makes you think I want something?"

"You never come to me unless there is something that you want, and seeing as how you are ever my only guest, I know that I am not mistaking you with some other creature."

"Creature?"  The Queen's eyes turned dark.  "How dare you take that tone with me?"

"I shall take any tone with you I wish," said the woman.  "Look around you, dear sister.  In what way can my means get any worse."

"Do not test me," said the Queen through clenched teeth, "else you may find out."  The woman held her ground, and the tension in the Queen's shoulders eased slightly.  "And I assure you that I want nothing from you.  I merely came by to see you because what kind of queen would I be if I did not care for the well-being of my subjects?"

"I am blinded by your graciousness," said the woman, her sarcastic tone not lost on either one of them.

Trying to remain calm, the Queen said, "Is there anything you need or want?"

"Why bother asking since we both know I'll receive nothing I either need or want?"

"I can only do what is within my power."

"Power," the woman huffed and looked away which sent the Queen into a rage.

"Do not turn away from me!" she screamed grabbing the woman's face and turned it to face her. 

Their faces inches apart, the woman didn't flinch or bat an eye.  "Or else what?"

"You know what I am capable of," said the Queen, the threat lingering between them.

"But do you know what I am capable of?" asked the woman.  The Queen released her, shoving her aside and walked away.  "Your threats mean nothing to me, Belinda.  I literally have nothing to lose.  You saw to that."

She walked to the outer rim of light and before stepping into the shadows, she stopped.  "What about the girls?" she said without turning around.

The woman stared at the Queen.  "You wouldn't hurt them," she said.  "You need them.  Like you need me."

The Queen turned then and stared long and hard at her sister.  "Perhaps," she conceded.  "But there will come a time where I won't need any of you, and mark my words, Aiyana.  When that day comes, I'll be sure to let you know."  Then the Queen disappeared into the darkness, and the woman listened to her fading ascending footsteps... then a click... and she was once again alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment