Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Part Fourteen

“My mother?” said Blue. Their last conversation quickly replayed in her mind. “She’s really not dead?”

“No,” said Devon approaching the girls. “Your mother isn’t dead.” He looked at Blue and then to her sister. Georgeanne didn’t like how he was looking at her. “Do I make you uncomfortable Princess de Burgundy?”

“Perhaps,” she said.

“And why is that?” he asked innocently.

“My sister told me of your encounter. You told her that her mother is not dead.” He nodded. “Then where has she been all this time?”

“Hidden,” he replied. “It seems though that those that hid her hid her a little too well.” Before anyone had a chance to say anything, he said, “But I assure you… you’re mother is safe. We will find her soon.”

Georgeanne’s discomfort disappeared and was replaced by something else – a mixture of curiosity and confusion. “You mean my sister’s mother,” she said. “My mother is alive and well in the castle.”

“I assure you milady that she is not.”

She stood there unsure of what to say next. Blue moved closer to her sister and placing a hand on her shoulder said, “My father remarried her mother after my mother died.”

Devon’s face did not change from its serious countenance when he looked at both of the princesses and said, “My dear ladies, I do not doubt that the Queen of Burgundy married the King, but I do tell you a truth when I say that she is not the woman who gave you life.”

Blue looked at her sister, eyeing her profile as she stared at the man. She then stepped forward, leaving the comfort of her sister’s touch and stood a few feet from the man from their dreams. For a moment they stood there in silence just looking at each other. Blue remained by the railing of the gazebo. At last, Georgeanne spoke. “Swear it,” she said to Devon, her tone low and serious. “Swear that what you say is the truth. If you are lying, so help me-.”

“I am not lying, milady.”

“Swear it, then,” she demanded.

Devon stepped closer, took her hands in his and looking her straight in the eyes said, “Milady, I swear on my life and everything that I am that I am telling you the truth.” She stared up into his eyes and could tell his honesty was not false. The next moment she concentrated on breathing but her heartbeat started to race out of control. Then her eyes started to water, and she lost sight of Devon altogether before falling to her knees on the grass just before his feet, her hands slipping from his and she descended.

“Georgeanne!” said Blue and ran to her side. Her sister’s head hung low, her hands lay limp in her lap. Blue wrapped her arms around her sister, but Georgeanne didn’t move.

“I don’t understand,” she said. “I don’t understand at all.” She shook her head at her hands. “Why would they do such a thing? Why would they lie? About my mother?” She looked up at Blue then and said, “About our mother?”

Devon knelt before them and with his handkerchief dabbed at the princess’s face. “There is more going on than either of you are aware of.”

“That much we gathered,” said Blue, a little sarcasm slipping into her tone.

“It’s not safe to talk here,” he said. “We’ve said too much already.” He placed his hands over Georgeanne’s and asked, “Are you okay to walk?” She raised her a little but still didn’t look at anyone and nodded. He squeezed her hands a little then stood. “Good. Let’s go.”

“Where?” asked Blue.

“Someplace safe,” he said. “Safer than here.” He started to walk off, stopped and turned back to the girls. Blue was helping Georgeanne rise to her feet. Once they were both standing, he said, “And don’t forget the journal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment